A Swiss-Italian border point. File photo: David Abercrombie Italy said on Tuesday that it had summoned Switzerland’s ambassador after Swiss authorities implemented overnight closures of three small border crossings. Ambassador Giancarlo Kessler said the closure of the border posts in the southern canton of Ticino was an experimental measure to test whether it improved cooperation between the neighbouring countries’ police forces, according to a statement from the Italian foreign ministry. The shutdowns would be re-evaluated soon, Kessler added. Italy and Switzerland are both members of Europe’s Schengen passport-free zone. Since Saturday, the Novazzano-Marcetto, Pedrinate and Ponte Cremenaga crossings have been shut from 11pm until 5am. Switzerland’s Tribune de Geneve newspaper reported that the closures were designed to cut cross-border crime, particularly burglaries, and that the measure would be in force for six months. Local mayors on the Italian side of the border — many of whose residents work in Switzerland — have been angered by the decision, while Ticino security officials acknowledged that break-ins dropped last year. Italy meanwhile on Tuesday reiterated its demand that Switzerland cease “as quickly as possible” its criminal record checks on Italian cross-border workers, with the foreign ministry saying: “As the Swiss have recognized, this… Read full this story
- ‘Caravan Migrants’ Stalled at Border Crossing Checkpoint
- Homeland security secretary was close to resigning after Trump berated her
- Border Patrol agent found not guilty on murder charges, hung jury on two lesser charges
- Nobles Medical Broadens its Expansion of NobleStitch PFO Closure to Switzerland
- Report: DHS Sec. Kirstjen Nielsen ‘Was Close to Resigning’ After Trump Blasted Her for Not Securing Border
- 1 Gazan killed, 146 hurt by Israeli fire in border protest
- Closing the Circuit
- ‘Zero Tolerance’ for Illegals, Says Jeff Sessions
- John Kelly says the vast majority of unauthorized immigrants 'don't have skills' and can't 'easily assimilate'
- Leslie Marshall: Hey, Democrats, want to beat Trump? Here are my top 10 tips for the next debate
Italians angered after Switzerland closes border crossings at night have 311 words, post on www.thelocal.ch at April 5, 2017. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.