Donald Trump, who was buoyed as a candidate by $30 million from the gun lobby, will become the first president in more than three decades to address the annual convention of the National Rifle Association.The NRA, which is hosting its annual convention this week in Atlanta, spent big to get Trump and other Republicans elected. The group dropped almost $53 million on outside spending during the 2016 cycle — $37 million opposing Democrats and $16 million favoring Republicans, according to OpenSecrets data. The group also contributed more than $1 million directly to GOP candidates, parties, and leadership PACs.The NRA was an early endorser of Trump’s candidacy, announcing its support at last year’s convention. Its support has led to access. Trump met with NRA Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre at the White House during the first two weeks of his presidency as part of a Supreme Court strategy meeting with conservative groups. Getting a conservative justice onto the high court has been a priority for the group.The association has been one of the most high-profile lobbying organizations on Capitol Hill, spending more than $24 millionsince 2008 to influence lawmakers and government officials, with $5.9 million spent during the most recent election cycle. The group reported spending $2.2 million on lobbying in the first quarter of 2017 — about $1 million more… Read full this story
- Fresh off visit to Tornillo tent city, Beto O'Rourke talks campaign, Trump, Ted Cruz
- Koch Groups to Spend Millions Against Trump Trade Agenda
- Trump thanks PM Lee for Singapore's hospitality, thinks Trump-Kim summit will 'work out nicely'
- Trump thanks Singapore for hospitality and friendship
- NBA 2 Louisville chairman's company pays $30 million fraud settlement
- $30 Million to be Spent on Road Infrastructure Works in Douglas Castle
- Minute by minute: Trump-Kim summit
- House Republicans rally Trump voters in California primaries
- Trump has already played the system – so he may as well pardon himself
- Donald Trump blasts judge after his ex top aide Paul Manafort is jailed for ‘witness tampering’ in Mueller probe trial
Boosted by $30 Million During Campaign, Trump Will Thank NRA By Speaking at Convention have 316 words, post on www.natlawreview.com at April 27, 2017. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.