Ann Zaniewski Detroit Free Press
Published 4:46 PM EST Jan 31, 2019
Detroit police are looking for two men who assaulted a school bus driver in front of several children on the city’s west side.
The driver stopped at 3 p.m. Jan. 25 on the 7000 block of Asbury Park when the attackers climbed on the bus and began hitting him in the head, said Dontae Freeman, a spokesman for the Detroit Police Department.
About 10 children can been seen in a video clip of the incident that was posted on YouTube. They move to the back of the bus when the attack begins. No kids were injured, Freeman said.
The 63-year-old driver was taken to the hospital afterward.
“They struck him several times and then fled from the bus,” Freeman said.
Mlive reported that the driver had stopped the bus after grazing the side of a vehicle and knocking off its mirror. Freeman said Thursday that he couldn’t confirm whether the bus was involved in an accident prior to the attack.
“That part is still under investigation,” he said.
Mlive also reported that the driver worked for Multicultural Academy, a charter school in Pittsfield Township. School officials could not immediately be reached for comment.
Anyone with information about the suspects is asked to contact the Detroit Police Department’s 6th Precinct at 313-596-5640, or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-SPEAK-UP.
Contact staff writer Ann Zaniewski at 313-222-6594 or [email protected] Follow her on Twitter: @AnnZaniewski.
- Italy to grant citizenship to student hero who saved dozens of children on hijacked school bus
- Police seek man after teenage girl attacked at Glasgow Queen Street station
- Sorting offices on alert as police seek motive or suspect for explosive packages
- Police seek three suspects after Banbridge arson
- Council considers cuts to school bus services
- Speeding Sunday school bus driver banned
- Police seek officers to join Sandringham protection unit
- Police hunt men who attempted to steal pug from its owner
- Police hunt men who assaulted woman and man after getting off bus in Dundee
- West Lothian school bus driver has suspected heart attack behind wheel