Federal prosecutors alleged on Monday that New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie knew about his close associates’ scheme to shut down lanes to the George Washington Bridge as it was unfolding.Prosecutors made the allegation in opening statements in the trial of two former government officials, report the New York Times and Bloomberg News.Prosecutors claimed government officials had bragged about the scheme to Christie, and Christie knew the closures were intended as punishment for a mayor who didn’t support Christie’s re-election.According to the Times, the “striking” assertion that Christie had contemporaneous knowledge of the closings had not been previously made by prosecutors.Christie has said that he didn’t know about the bridge closings ahead of time and had no involvement in the decision. Christie has also said he didn’t recall being told about the closings as they were occurring. A report by Gibson Dunn & Crutcher had found Christie’s claim “rings true.” Christie has not been charged in the case.The two defendants on trial are Bill Baroni, the former deputy executive director of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, and Bridget Anne Kelly, Christie’s former deputy chief of staff. They are charged with conspiracy to misuse Port Authority property, wire… Read full this story
- REVEALED: The heartbreaking texts and letter which allegedly detail how Jim Carrey infected tragic lover with THREE STDs, tried to deny it, then labelled her a 'whore' and 'ungrateful b****' before she took her life
- Ex-VW boss Martin Winterkorn charged in Dieselgate scandal
- Ex-Audi boss charged with fraud over 'Dieselgate' emissions scandal
- OneCoin lawyer on trial for role in 'crypto-scam'
- Santa Fe High School shooter, 19, who killed 10 people and injured 13 others is found incompetent to stand trial for murder after psychiatric evaluation
- Sheena Bora Case: The Panchatantra continues
- El Chapo is sentenced to life behind bars and told to forfeit $12.6 BILLION to the US government at dramatic court hearing where he broke his silence to complain about 'torturous' conditions in jail and thanked his glamorous wife for standing by him
- Jeffrey Epstein told guards weeks before he hanged himself that someone tried to KILL HIM: Questions mount over why billionaire pedophile was taken off suicide watch just as sex slave lawsuit named powerful friends including Prince Andrew
- 10 top Republicans who continue to deny the undeniable
- Senators fear Syria damage 'irreversible' after Esper, Milley briefing
Chris Christie knew about bridge scheme as it unfolded, prosecutors allege in trial of ex-officials have 391 words, post on www.abajournal.com at September 19, 2016. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.