As April 15th rolls around many people are adding up their charitable contributions to include on their tax returns. Giving back is something every human being should be doing no matter how small the donation may be. Finding a charity that you feel called to support and then making sure they are a legitimate charity, using the funds for the services they provide and not to line a few executives pockets is a bit tricky.
Some scammers focus on specific causes to catch you off guard. Rip-off artists will appeal to peoples emotions or tie in with specific disasters in the news. Always check out an organization before donating any money. Some charities use phony names, addresses, seals, and logos that look like or sound really similar to big name organizations or they may claim to be one of the benefiting recipients (ie Vet or Storm victim etc) themselves as a way to gain your trust. You may notice a slight difference in the name of the charity from the one you thought you were dealing with. If this happens call the organization you know to be legitimate and check out if the call is at all connected.
Call the office that regulates charitable organizations and charitable solicitations to see whether the charity or fundraising organization has to be registered in your state. If so, check to make sure that the company you’re talking to is registered. For a list of state offices, visit the National Association of State Charity Officials.
Charitable Solicitations for Vet & Military Families: Learn how to donate to legitimate charities that support service members and their families.
A good, highly efficient, charitable organization usually spends about 75 percent of the money it raises on charitable programs and the remaining 25 percent on general administration and fundraising, according to the American Institute of Philanthropy.
10 Charities Overpaying their For-Profit Fundraisers
|Rank||Charity||Program Expenses||Professional Fundraising Fees|
|1||Disabled Police Officers of America||6.9%||90.6%|
|2||Cancer Survivors’ Fund||8.5%||88.3%|
|3||Firefighters Charitable Foundation||6.9%||87.4%|
|4||Wishing Well Foundation USA||4.7%||84.5%|
|5||Children’s Charity Fund, Inc.||4.7%||79.4%|
|6||California Police Youth Charities||16.0%||79.3%|
|7||Readers Are Leaders Foundation||0.3%||58.0%|
|8||Find the Children||32.4%||57.7%|
|9||New England Paralyzed Veterans of America||36.5%||56.3%|
|10||United States Deputy Sheriff’s Association||6.0%||54.4%|
Great Charitable Associations to Consider
Vietnam Veterans Association: National Commander receives zero salary. Donations go direct to Vets.
The American Legion: National Commander receives zero salary. Donations go direct to Vets.
The Salvation Army: Commissioner receives $13,000 per year plus housing. 96% donated goes to the cause.
Make a Wish : 100% goes to funding trips or special wishes of dying child.
St Jude Research Hospital: 100% goes towards funding and helping children with cancer.
Ronald McDonald House: 100% goes to housing and feeding the families of critically ill kids.
Related Blog: Give it Away: A Guide to Charitable Giving
- UK charity launched to support public interest journalism
- Cyber scam targets family of a patient
- Times Network contemplates legal action in BARC TRP scam
- Beware rogue Facebook scam that could cost you and your pals £400 EACH
- Prince Harry and Prince William Charities Scrutinized Over Funds Transfer
- Charity fundraiser, 57, died after he lost control of his e-scooter on a steep hill in the UK's second such death, inquest hears
- Yes Bank scam: Bombay HC rejects bail plea of Rana Kapoor
- Fraud collecting 'donations' for Ram Mandir arrested
- Justice, FBI to be investigated over Clinton probes
- Amazon lists militia-related nonprofits among groups that can receive Smile donations
- Katelyn McClure, NJ crowdfunding scam defendant, has sentencing delayed: reports
- DC Think Tank Claims Wealthy Enviro Donations Not Behind Boulder’s Climate Lawsuit
- Timeline of MLK Assassination, Investigation Into His Killing
- Crete Couple Says Home Repair Contractor Took Over $6,000 And Ran, And A Staffer Looked Familiar From Our Past Stories
- Here's The Smartest Way to Spend Your $1,400 Stimulus Check, If It Passes
- American veterans deliver flood relief for Vietnam
- Bay Briefing: California will open mass vaccination centers — but they’re not for everyone just yet
- Woman raising cash for NHS with Christmas lights 'verbally abused by disgusting couple'
- Aid Sector ‘Last Safe Haven’ for Sexual Predators, Says Report Following Oxfam Scandal
- In bad faith: On the ongoing farmers agitation
Avoid Charity Scams Investigate Before you Donate have 780 words, post on www.naturalnewsblogs.com at March 21, 2016. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.