Tiffany Birchett, mother of one of the campers, told The Detroit News that her 10-year-old daughter was disturbed by the program at the YMCA Storer Camps in Jackson, with instructors dancing and acting happy before participating in the activity where they held certificates that allowed them to buy slaves. The enslaved children then had to hold the certificates once they were bought or sold.Birchett worked with the ACLU of Michigan to put a stop to this, and called her daughter’s school principal, William Murphy, to let him know what was going on at the camp. Murphy reached out to Nancy Burger, the director of Outdoor Environmental Education for the YMCA Storer Camps, who denied the allegations of what went on during the event which had existed for 20 years.Mark Fancher, staff attorney for the Michigan ACLU Racial Justice Project, then wrote a letter to Kevin Washington, president and CEO of YMCA USA, demanding an end to the program. That same day, Brad Toft, president of the YMCA of Greater Toledo, which operates the Storer Camps, called Fancher to let him know they were ending the program.[h/t The Detroit News, Image via Shutterstock.com]
- The Best Of Black Friday 2013 LED TV Deals: Samsung-UN46EH5000-46-1080p At $489.99 From EBay
- At least they picked their tents up! Campers leave pockmarked field after Glastonbury ends as droves begin clean-up of sea of bottles and food waste despite festival going 'plastic-free'
- Lupita Nyong’o In Talks To Play Lead In Black Panther
- Married Guys Weigh In on Whether They'd Ever Actually Use a 'Hall Pass'
- Nine talking points from Wallabies vs All Blacks
- Black Twitter Growing Into Online Force
- Wallaby gold and 'dumb' All Blacks in a Test for the ages
- Is anyone actually ready for the Rugby World Cup?
- Japanese basketball’s ‘Chosen One’ is playing in the G League
- Mobile and Web security will be major topics at Black Hat
A YMCA Actually Forced Black Campers to Play Slaves in a Reenactment have 315 words, post on lawnewz.com at February 18, 2016. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.