Tour boat operators on Vietnam’s heritage-listed Ha Long Bay are outraged at a move by local authorities to ban about 25 percent of vessels from working the waters, a move that will cost thousands of jobs.
Quang Ninh authorities to tighten grips on wooden boats
The Quang Ninh Tour Boat Association has lodged an objection to Quang Ninh Province’s Resolution 4088, which says timber boats of more than 15 years old, cannot operate in Ha Long Bay and Bai Tu Long Bay.
About 120 boats might be shut down and over 1,000 people would become unemployed.
Nguyen Duy Phu, deputy head of Quang Ninh Tour Boat Association, said, “Both Circular 43 issued in 2012 by the Ministry of Transport and government’s Resolution 111 issued in 2014 state that expire date of wooden boats is 25 years. So Quang Ninh’s resolution goes against both of the circular and resolution.”
A member of Tour Boat Association said 80 percent of the operating boats are over 10 years old and owners had spent hundreds of billions on recent repairing and maintaining so they might bear huge loss if they can only operate for few more years.
Le Quang Tung, vice chairman of Quang Ninh People’s Committee said, “The management work is lax. Our statistics show that fire and accidents that occurred recently are all on over 10-year-old boats. Over 15-year-old boats of course can still operate but just not at Ha Long Bay and Bai Tu Long Bay.”
He went on to say that in their planning, they would stop building current type of boats altogether to develop a new fleet and they would give priorities to firms that have banned wooden boats.
- Police officer arrested for 'raping, blackmailing' 15-year-old boy in Haripur
- Cold case cops offer £20k reward for information on 41-year old mystery of murdered 15-year-old Enrico Sidoli
- Police appeal after 15-year-old indecently assaulted in North Lanarkshire
- 15-year-old girl missing from Cobham
- Mum who takes phone off 17-year-old daughter at 9:30pm EVERY night sparks outrage as she asks if she’s being ‘too strict’
- Two-year-old Sophia continues fight having undergone five major heart surgeries
- Former world champion predicts big future for 16-year-old Jackson Page
- 'Ellie' tells how she was groomed and abused by 40-year-old internet conman
- Cleric arrested in Islamabad for physically harassing twelve-year old foreigner
- Dad battered his terrified 17-year-old daughter after finding her having sex with her secret boyfriend
- Calls for change to 'upskirting' law after 10-year-old targeted in Somerset
- 74 year old was almost three times over the legal limit
- Community Support Officers celebrate 15 years in Gwent
- Five Brits, including 11-year-old girl, dead after plane downs in Sydney river
- South Shields pensioner's plea for disabled parking bay sparks debate
- First pictures of Brit millionaire CEO killed alongside his family including 11-year-old in Sydney seaplane crash
- Heartless thieves steal 430-year-old bible after Christmas carol service
- Understanding Redcar's shifting sands of time that uncovered the 6,000-year-old petrified forest
- Nine-year-old boy sparks coastal search after going missing off Seaburn
- Ex-US military base worker who raped and murdered a 20-year-old woman jailed for life in Japan
15-year-old wooden boat ban in Ha Long Bay sparks outcry from local firms have 490 words, post on dtinews.vn at February 2, 2016. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.