Roberts, as he has sometimes done during his just-completed first 10 years as chief justice, managed to please and disappoint both sides of the political spectrum with his votes.As if scripted by a screenwriter, Roberts wrote the majority opinion for the court in King v. Burwell, which again sided with President Barack Obama’s administration in upholding the president’s signature health care law.Despite Roberts’ track record as a reliable conservative on many issues, the ACA decision reinforced doubts among many on the political right about his commitment to conservative ideals. Carrie Severino, the chief counsel of the right-leaning Judicial Crisis Network in Washington, D.C., and a former law clerk to Justice Clarence Thomas, says Roberts has been feeding the fears that have existed in the back of conservatives’ minds since his nomination in 2005.“When the chief justice was nominated, a lot of people like me wanted to be optimistic, but we had concerns,” Severino says. “What we’ve seen over the course of his tenure underscores the dangers of appointing judges without a clear track record of support for the rule of law.”Meanwhile, in Obergefell v. Hodges, the chief justice surprised some observers by dissenting in the historic decision finding a constitutional… Read full this story
- 10 Years After Katrina: An Illustrated Unhappy Ending
- The Chief Justice Of The Supreme Court Has Never Been Pulled Over
- Former Irish Chief Justice slams data retention as mass surveillance and threat to fundamental rights
- Alabama Chief Justice Tells Judges to Deny Gay Marriage Licenses
- Optus scores 10-year Olympics deal
- 10 years of XPrizes: Fixing the world one competition at a time
- Facebook's new 10-year plan? SMS -- aka WhatsApp
- 10-year-old offers Coding For Kids book
- My inner 10-year-old and I review 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens'
- Zuckerberg outlines Facebook's ambitious 10-year plan
John Roberts marks 10 years as chief justice by taking the long view have 294 words, post on www.abajournal.com at October 1, 2015. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.