No supporters celebrate in Scotland. Photo: Leon Neal/AFP Commentators in Swiss media have called the Scottish no vote “a success in failure” after 55 percent of Scots voted against independence in Thursday’s historic referendum. One of many Swiss papers to splash the Scottish result over its front page, Neue Zurcher Zeitung was full of praise for the independence movement, despite the no vote, saying: “Although the ultimate victory failed, no other separatist movement in Western Europe can boast such achievements as the Scottish nationalists.” Warning of a “neverendum” in which Scottish nationalists will continue to attempt to bring about independence from London, it said “the spirit of separatism cannot be forced back in the bottle”. Tabloid Blick agreed, saying the defeat “represents a great success for Scotland” given the so-called ‘devo-max’ powers now promised by British Prime Minister David Cameron to the Scottish parliament. Tages Anzeiger was less upbeat in its analysis, however. Under the headline “Lessons should be learned from this episode of British history”, its report emphasized the relief felt in London “as no one was really prepared for Scotland to leave.” Doubting the momentum of the yes campaign it added: “For many Scots the uncertainty of sudden… Read full this story
- Temporary Setbacks Or Permanent Failure?
- Lewis & Clark's Exploratory Successes Came With Preparation, Diversity, Hardship, and Luck
- Success & The Law of Large Numbers
- Ten Tips for Leading Your Group or Club to Success
- 5 Sure Ways to Build Free Web Traffic For Your Success
- Change - Who's Job is it Anyway
- How to Prevent Your Child From Growing Up to Be a Procrastinator
- Is Your Business An Ugly Baby?
- Smart Women Get Back on the Pogo Stick
- E-Marketing - Deciphering the Vast Option on Online Marketing Opportunities For Courier Companies
Swiss hail ‘success in failure’ of Scots no vote have 289 words, post on www.thelocal.ch at September 19, 2014. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.