All domestic airlines have been sent a letter by the antitrust watchdog Competition Commission of India (CCI), after it found that airlines were selling seats at almost equal prices that offered little choice to travelers. CCI, which doubted that airlines were acting like a cartel, has sought details on the way they estimated their fares. CCI secretary Smita Jhingran has written a letter to domestic airlines dated March 27, asking it to explain the reason for such identical pricing of airfares.Indicating that the fares were expensive, CCI had asked airlines to provide details of the average cost on four routes—New Delhi-Mumbai-New Delhi, New Delhi-Bangalore-New Delhi, New Delhi-Hyderabad-New Delhi and New Delhi-Pune-New Delhi—for 2012-13 and 2013-14. Besides wanting to know the criteria adopted for deciding the base fare, fuel surcharge and other charges such as airport development fee, passenger service fee, service tax and the so-called CUTE (common user terminal equipment) fee, information about the total number of flights they operated, seats available and passengers carried on each of these route in the same years have also been sought from the airlines.Each airline has been asked by CCI to explain how it determined each of its fare buckets and how many seats were… Read full this story
- Can CCI be more agile like its EU and US counterparts at least in disposing of cases?
- The Frequent Flier's Guide to Finding Cheap Airfare
- Qantas’ $100 airfares overwhelmed its website. Still, the sale will continue
- The Masked Singer: Patti LaBelle removes Flower mask to reveal identity, but Nick Cannon 'knew it'
- Attorney General Bill Barr Wants To Know If Russia Probe Was Abuse Of Power
- Sen. Rubio: America Is Coming Apart — Here’s How We Start The Revival
- CCI dismisses case against Prathima Industries alleging violation of competition norms
- IRCTC offers tour package to Dubai starting at Rs 58,700; here are the details
- EXCLUSIVE-Two JPMorgan metals executives put on leave amid U.S. probe -source
- Trump says he will 'strongly consider' testifying in House impeachment probe
Probe started by CCI in identical airfare pricing have 326 words, post on www.livelaw.in at April 3, 2014. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.