Note: This month’s CLE, “Family Law Goes Global,” is Wednesday, July 21.Christopher Savoie got the kind of telephone call that terrifies a parent on Aug. 12, 2008. The school where his two young children attended classes wanted him to know that they had not shown up that day.But Savoie’s first thought was not that Isaac and Rebecca had been victimized by some stranger. Instead, he rushed over to his ex-wife’s home not far from his in the Nashville, Tenn., suburbs. “The first thing that came to mind was murder-suicide,” he says. “It was a horrible thing to imagine. I’d had no contact with her in two days, and that wasn’t normal.”Savoie found his ex-wife’s house empty and the blinds drawn. That’s when another explanation for the children’s disappearance began to worry him.For months, Savoie had been telling people—including the judges overseeing the couple’s divorce—that he feared his ex-wife, Noriko, would quietly slip away with their children to her native Japan, whose domestic relations laws don’t provide for joint parental custody. But, he says, “Everybody had been assuring me, saying, ‘You’re too neurotic.’”Savoie, the managing partner of a mediation firm, tried to reach his ex-wife, but his calls went unanswered—until he… Read full this story
- Lena Dunham reveals she went through IVF this year to harvest eggs from her one ovary after a hysterectomy but it failed: 'I had hopes'
- Family says their autistic daughter, 15, was removed from Southwest Airlines flight because she did not wear a face mask despite suffering sensory sensitivity
- 'Maybe we'll have a wedding in a year!' Kelly Brook says she'd 'love' to tie the knot and start a family with long-term boyfriend Jeremy Parisi
- Rebekah Vardy fails to raise a smile as she heads to Dancing On Ice training after court documents revealed Coleen Rooney fan blackmailed her with sex tape claims and trolls accused her of being an ISIS leader
- EXCLUSIVE: 'I gave her the £20m family home!' Russian billionaire at centre of £453 million divorce insists he has given his ex enough to 'live like royalty' as she claims in court she hasn't 'received a penny'
- This is America's Last Shot at Global Leadership. Don't Squander It | Opinion
- PASTOR BAKARE AT 66: Youths aren’t Nigeria’s problem, I once apologised that we failed them
- Venezuelan Olympian delivers food to support family
- Families could be banned from mixing for MONTHS even if lockdown is lifted, health chief predicts - as minister warns England won't know 'for weeks' if Christmas can go ahead
- Judy Shelton’s Fed Nomination Fails Key Senate Procedural Vote
When Global Families Fail have 435 words, post on www.abajournal.com at July 1, 2010. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.