Intel and Nokia are teaming up to tame mobile Linux fragmentation. During a presentation today at Mobile World Congress, the companies announced that they are bringing together their respective Linux-based operating systems under a single banner. The combined platform, called MeeGo, supports multiple architectures and will be suitable for use across a wide range of mobile and embedded form factors, including netbooks and smartphones. Nokia’s Maemo platform evolved from the company’s experiments with handheld tablet computing. It has shipped on all of the company’s Internet tablets as well as the N900, a high-end smartphone that Nokia launched last year. Intel’s Moblin platform, which is principally designed for netbooks, is backed by a number of prominent Linux distributors and hardware vendors. Although there are a number of significant technical differences between the two platforms, they have a lot in common. One key characteristic that Maemo and Moblin share is that they are both closely aligned with the conventional desktop Linux stack. This is because Nokia and Intel approach open source software development in much the same way. They are both philosophically inclined to collaborate with upstream projects and the existing Linux ecosystem. This is very different from the strategy that is… Read full this story
- Intel Xe release date, specs, performance, and pricing
- India mobile handset industry can reach $100 billion in exports by 2025: Report
- Linus Torvalds rejects 'beyond stupid' AWS-made Linux patch for Intel CPU Snoop attack
- Singapore kickstarts 5G era, likely to run on Nokia, Ericsson networks
- When Apple moves Mac to Arm, is it time for Mac users to move to Windows?
- US amends ban to allow companies to work with Huawei for developing 5G standards
- Dealmaster: Get $10 when you buy a $100 Newegg gift card
- Tor phone is antidote to Google “hostility” over Android, says developer
- AMD adds beta support for hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling in Windows 10
- Point of care: Life-saving clinical trial technology at the crossroads
Intel, Nokia aim to unify mobile Linux ecosystem with MeeGo have 314 words, post on arstechnica.com at February 15, 2010. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.