California has been burned by a “scorched-earth” approach to litigation over pay policies for inmates who work for private employers on prison grounds.A California appeals court affirmed an award of $307,000 in attorney fees, in addition to nearly $1.5 million already awarded, for litigation over the state’s failure to comply with a stipulated injunction regarding a prison ballot measure, the Recorder reports.“The state ignores that its own conduct has extended the litigation and substantially increased awardable fees,” the court wrote in its opinion (PDF). “As the [trial] court explained, ‘the state has in the history of this case, taken a scorched-earth, drag-your-feet … approach to the litigation where it has fought tooth and nail to avoid doing what it voluntarily agreed to do.’ “The plaintiff had sued for the state’s failure to carry out Proposition 139, which required California to compel employers who hired inmates on prison grounds to pay wages comparable to the private sector. The stipulated injunction required the state to “make reasonable and good-faith efforts” to comply.
- Family of Ramarley Graham, NYC Teen Fatally Shot by Cop, to US Attorney’s Office: ‘Foot-Dragging Is Unacceptable’
- Watch out for hidden fees when you book a hotel room
- Top 14 Best Pricing Table Plugins for WordPress (2019)
- Divi Builder Plugin Review: Elegant Themes' New Drag-&-Drop Page Builder
- BMW M5 Vs. Challenger Hellcat Vs. Jeep Trackhawk Is A 2014HP* Drag Race
- Lingenfelter Offers 5th Gen Camaro Drag Race Suspension
- 2019 Nissan NV Cargo And NV Passenger Vans Bring Updated Infotainment, $610 Price Hike
- Pearl Claims She's Been Banned from 'RuPaul's Drag Race: All Stars' in Retribution for Interview Comments
- Test 'n' Tune March 23 and March 30 at the drag strip • Gateway Motorsports Park
- The 8 Best Drag-&-Drop WordPress Page Builder Plugins Compared
$307 K Fee Is Price of Foot-Dragging have 284 words, post on www.abajournal.com at August 31, 2007. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.