Toilets in London, U.K.Why is “toilet” written on all of the buildings in London? That was the question put to me by one of my students and I was unable to answer the question, because I have lived in London and I know that toilet is not written on most buildings. After a while I came to realise that what it does say on many buildings in London, is “To Let” – meaning to rent on a long-term basis. The student and I were both left amused by the initial confusion.The word Toilet by the way, in American English is called ‘Restroom’ or ‘bathroom’. If you are in England and ask for the restroom, people will genuinely be confused. In American the opposite situation can happen whereby if you ask for a toilet, people will understand but they might laugh at you. Americans are not used to using the word toilet even though they understand the meaning. In America the word ‘toilet’ is considered impolite even though in other countries it is used without any problem at all. In England, people use the word bathroom usually when they talking about having a bath (or shower). Confused? Do not worry because… Read full this story
- South Koreans cautious over North Korea promises
- South Korean president met North Korea's Kim Jong Un Saturday
- Trump Tariffs: Plans Threaten General Motors' $7 Billion South Korean Bailout Package
- Asian Games: Vietnam lauds South Korean coach as soccer 'wizard'
- South Korean cult leader arrested over violent rituals
- South Korean K-pop company dives 14% after one of its stars is charged with supplying prostitutes
- Seven South Koreans missing after helicopter crash near disputed islets
- South Korean officials visit Fort Worth to take delivery of their first F-35 fighter jet
- South Korean Scandal May Force Change of Chaebol Ways: QuickTake
- South Korean Court Orders Mitsubishi of Japan to Pay for Forced Wartime Labor
South Korean Culture- The Funny and Sometimes Unusual Side of Korea have 318 words, post on ezinearticles.com at October 4, 2006. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.