Timing has played a key role in Renate Ahrens’ career as a playwright ever since she penned her first play in 1993. At the time she approached several theaters in Germany with the manuscript, but remembers that the reaction from all of them was similar –“nobody wants to see anything like that now, come back in 10 or 15 years,” she was told. “It must have been too early then, just three or four years after the fall of the wall,” the author told DW-WORLD in an interview from her Hamburg home. Ahrens’ script dealt with a dark, little-known chapter of history in East Germany. In the 1970s the communist government forcefully wrested away young children from parents they thought might try to flee to the free West and gave them up for adoption to conformist East German couples. Now a decade after those initial hesitations and rejections, the time seems to be right as Ahrens’ (photo) play, Mütter-Los, translated loosely as “Motherless” — once deemed too controversial for the German public — opened to packed audiences at a Nuremberg theater last weekend. The play deals with the classic East-West conflict through the confused and anguished lens of 18-year-old Marion…. Read full this story
- Archives Shed Light on Indonesian Art Under Japanese Occupation
- Fake rent rolls, phony tenants: Charges shed light on alleged $167M mortgage fraud
- At Putin’s inauguration, former German chancellor Schröder got a front-row spot. The Kremlin was sending a message.
- Dark Justice fear they may be BANNED due to other paedophile hunting vigilantes
- At Everyman Theatre, 'Book of Joseph' provides intriguing drama of family secrets, regrets
- Let there be dark: Advocates push Maine as astrotourism destination
- Nigeria: Arsenal Play Up to Wenger's Image for Emotional Emirates Stadium Farewell
- Baristas were playing the rap song ‘Get Paid.’ A Duke VP complained — and they got fired, they say.
- Teen suspect in Santa Fe shooting promoted ‘born to kill’ shirt, German nationalist symbols on Facebook
- Simon Reeve interview: 'There is much more light in the world than darkness'
Play Sheds Light on Dark East German Secret have 329 words, post on www.dw.com at February 28, 2003. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.